Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Each new day is a fresh start

Seven days in...the goals are set...life happens...choices are made.  Learning about God's mercies being new each day leads to healthy self-care and a thankful heart.  

"God engineers circumstances to see what we will do. Will we be the children of our Father in heaven, or will we go back again to the meaner, common-sense attitude? Will we stake all and stand true to Him? “Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.” The crown of life means I shall see that my Lord has got the victory after all, even in me."  The Highest Good—The Pilgrim’s Song Book, 530 L

Already this week I see progress, surprises and resulting actions.  As each day presents it new set of circumstances it is in the reflection of these choices that the daily plan is written.  So many of the great leaders I've had the privilege of studying have taught me the simple art of reflection.  Taking 10 minutes at the end of the day to assess how my time was spent allows me to journal and track my progress.

Seeing how I plan my priorities and then other people come along with their set of circumstances and affect my plan, if I so choose.  Being flexible is important.  Laser focus is important.  Which is more important?

Being open and available to God interrupting my daily plans has brought incredible Joy as the bottom line is who are we here to serve, ourselves or Jesus?  

"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

In the past I've struggled with allowing people to steal my time in an attempt to being open and available.  The balance lies in discerning whether the people and circumstances that are presenting themselves are an opportunity to serve God or to derail our plans.  

Various time management expert use a chart similar to this one to help us understand how to make choices.  We truly cannot manage time but rather it is ourselves we learn to manage.

At the end of the day if we take the time to review where we've spent those precious moments we've been give we will determine which quadrants we allowing our deposits of time to be invested in.  Choosing wisely to take care of important and not urgent items as our primary focus will ensure progress towards our achieving our goals.

God has brought incredible people into my life through business associations, church affiliations, family and the internet.  "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm youplans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 It has been the most amazing experience to see just how He has orchestrated my particular set of circumstances.  The lessons I've learned and the phenomenal joy I've beheld by allowing Him to intersect my life with different people is more than I can explain.  I will continue to work out my salvation through managing myself, always at the ready to be flexible enough to receive a Godly interruption.

It’s one thing to hear how God works based on somebody else’s experience, it’s another to see it first hand when you’re wondering, ‘What did I do to deserve this?’ or asking, ‘If God’s really there, why am I here?’ Why?


1 comment:

  1. Great message from Michael Hyatt: #036: How to Develop More Discipline [Podcast] http://michaelhyatt.com/036-how-to-develop-more-discipline-podcast.html#

    ReplyDelete