Friday, June 19, 2009

Reflecting on Heroes

It's been a crazy few months for me. I've probably said that a few hundred times in my life. It's interesting how we wear the badge of "Busy" like it's something to be proud of. What would it sound like if instead we were saying I am "in pursuit" of our Dreams? Wouldn't that inspire others?

I have been extremely active in pursuit of my destiny!

I owe a debt of gratitude to the Heroes in my life. Those awesome individuals that chose to speak into my life. Those words and actions of the Balcony people have allowed me to hang on during the tough times and know who I want to call in the great times to celebrate with!

Here is a shout out to:

Irene Crann (my Mom), she was the one who taught me that the sky is the limit! When the Drama coaches in grade 6 told me that I couldn't sing and shouldn't tryout again for a part in the musical. My Mom let me cry it out and said "what can you do instead to be a part of the play?"
I sold Ads door to door and won an award for the most money raised to support the play. Numerous times in my life my Mom has given me a fresh perspective to see a solution rather than focus on the challenges. Its all about perseverance, right Mom?

Mrs. Hearn (grade 7 teacher), she saw the potential in me, right through the cloud of bad attitude I was portraying. She wouldn't accept less than my best. One grade with this incredible teacher and I won an award for the "Most improved Student".

Frank Rose (my Grandfather), although he lived 1,300 miles away, he started visiting us here in Ontario just when I needed the guidance the most. Moving a 13 year old from the City to the Country is a challenge. My grandfather taught me Who to rely on, Who is unchanging, Who will never leave me nor Forsake me. He led me to my life of Faith.

James Dobson (Focus on the Family), from the day I became a parent I realized how ill-prepared I was to teach this beautiful child all that they needed to know. I am a fact-finder by nature so researching I did! I found the Focus on the Family Ministry to provide me with incredible resources that helped me parent. I believe motherhood is a privilege and shaping a persons life is the most important thing I will ever do in this life!

Joanne Paas (kids grade 1 teacher), this absolutely gentle loving teacher stopped me in my tracks with her positive speech. She blesses each child that walks through her door with the gift of knowing they are uniquely designed and very special! What a privilege to have her teach my children and more so their Mom! The lessons were life-changing.

Joyce Meyer (Bible teacher), I don't remember the day but I do remember the feeling. The first time I heard this woman speak I was shocked that she was saying what I thought. Finally, I'm not crazy, there are others that see things so straight. I've been called a purest and I am. My children grew up knowing that a day that started with me having my "Joyce" time was much better than when I didn't.

Steve Brown (Pastor), he was on the radio every morning as I drove the kids to school. Coming from an Anglican background to a Christian Reformed church at 21 I learned an awful lot from his straight forward teaching. He specifically taught me about GRACE!

James MacDonald (Pastor), his teaching is some of the best in the world. There is no nonsense with James. He tells it like it is and challenges us to stand for the truth as well. There have been numerous times when I've needed to re listen to one of his messages to strengthen my walk.

Kevin DeRaaf (Pastor), he speaks the truth in the most gentle fashion. He nicely challenged my thinking and redirected my path on many occasions. His commitment to speaking the truth in love will change many lives.

Kimberley Coles (Business Leader), this amazing lady has set the example of a Woman of Excellence in Business, Marriage and family. She's the real deal! She works tirelessly, serving others and taking care of her family. She embodies leading from the front!

Garry Coles (Business Leader), this fantastic man has stood with his wife and made some very tough decisions that were totally principle based that will forever cause me to follow their lead. He has spoken into my life at the most crucial times with a word of encouragement. He's never stopped believing in me.

Jordan Streutker (teenager), oh...our story is so fantastic. Our journey is definitely one of the highlights of my life. I only look forward to the movie some day so that we can share what can happen when two people's lives cross paths and God is allowed to lead. A shout out to your parents (Clarence & Sandra Streutker) because their role was equally as important in this story of stories.

John Maxwell (Author...), when I began my own business I started listening to and reading materials from John Maxwell. He gets it! He teaches it! He lives it! What more can I say...I share the same passion for Personal and Professional Development that this prolific Author, Pastor, and Business Leader does.

David Courey (Pastor), what an incredibly gifted Bible teacher. I can't wait to get to church to hear the next message. Being led to your Church was another turning point in my life for which I am extremely thankful.

Jody & Kathy Victor (Business Leaders), there are not words to describe this couple for me. I know of no other couple on this planet that have given more of themselves for a worthwhile cause than these two and their family. The responsibility and respect they show the opportunity they've been give to lead so many people is awe inspiring.

Jessica (& Justin), Sarah, Nicole, Mitchell and Scott (my kids), here comes the tears....you are my reason to continue to fight the good fight of growing, changing and becoming all I'm meant to be, because I know you are watching. You are my heroes because you've had to walk along side me through some tough times and each of you grew because of it. You chose not to become victims but to be Victors and that you are! You will accomplish much for God!

Each of these people have impacted my life with their words and deeds. We all need perspective at times to ensure we don't stray too far from the path we are intended to follow. I thank each and every one of you for influencing and inspiring me.

We are each given the same number of hours in a day....let's not waste them. I implore you to pursue your God given vision with total abandon, for there is no better way to live this life. I know my busyness has caused me to miss out on some of life's little moments but here's to pursuing the BIG dream - Freedom!

Go ahead and Celebrate Your Gifts...I dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment