Friday, May 11, 2012

Living, Loving and Letting go

Walking along side a friend through an illness teaches you much about that person, yourself and everyone affected.  I recently lost one of my best friends.  When he became aware of his brain tumor almost two years ago he took it in stride and remained hopeful to the very end of his life here on earth.  He would say "I have peace either way Kathy, whichever God prefers".  His sense of humour and testimony of faith were beautiful to witness.

During one of my hospital visits Bob asked me to bring in my laptop and let him update his facebook status.  We took a picture and posted it.  He had over 140 responses within 24 hrs.  This man touched lives!  His gift was to serve and he genuinely put others first.

The friends and family I got to meet through this journey just confirmed how humble and loving this man was.   He served so many people in his lifetime that it was an honour to be able to serve him near the end.  His parents are amazing people, no wonder Bob was so thoughtful. 

Each visit I was reminded that it may be my last...is that not how we are supposed to live each day?  Bob blessed me with unconditional love and acceptance, he was my biggest fan.  I think of you often my friend and am living each day to the fullest.

To know that he is now dancing before his Lord and Saviour makes me smile.  His visitation and memorial service were packed with people from every area of his life.  He made a friend wherever he went and if anyone chose not to accept his offer of a relationship it was their loss.

Here is the tribute video his son-in-law and daughter prepared for him:


Until we meet again Bob, thank you from the bottom of my heart for our years as sojourners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment