Sunday, February 17, 2013

Get Service - Everyone has a story

Interestingly I was introduced to this video awhile ago and saved it because I knew I wanted to share it.  Today, as I sit in on extremely beautiful resort patio overlooking the Caribbean Sea, in Jamaica I am awe struck for several reasons.

1) The sheer beauty of nature is truly breath taking...thinking about snow, ice and cold weather in Toronto, Ontario as I bask in 80 degree weather makes me think once again of God's incredible creativity.

2) This resort hosts 2500 people in luxury, the volume of food, alcohol and amenities available is sure to please anyone's tastes.

3) Most importantly for me it is about the people.  I watch the many families, couples and singles that this may be the trip of a lifetime for, the ones that is obvious this is a regular occurrence and the staff!  They see it all, most living in poverty, their families livelihood is dependent upon their ability to serve.



  • Each new person that serves me, causes me to stop and think; what is their story?  I've asked a few of them and to realize that one woman in a little booth by the pool that sells all those things people forget and need like sunscreen, lip balm, etc. earns $50/week base + commission.  We spend $1800 for a week and that would be her salary for 3 years! 
  • The waitress this morning that served me was explaining how hard it is to even come and visit a country like Canada.  On average of 100 people that go through the application process for a visa, may be 25 get approved.  She has tried twice already but will continue to try until she gets approved.
  • Another lady, a single Mom of three shared how difficult the balancing act is with so little money and how her Mom is her main support and she could not manage without her.
I am very thankful to be hear enjoying the break from our winter, the rest and relaxation, the beauty and will do my best to look at each person I meet and remember they have a story to share.  I'll serve them the best way I can in each moment as the opportunities present themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment